GUEST BOOK

Please scroll to the bottom of the screen and add yourself to my guestbook.
Including a picture would be great!

Saturday, October 20, 2007

But Wait, There's More!

God is the same yesterday, today and forever. But don’t misunderstand this truth…He is not stagnant. In fact, He manifests Himself in infinite ways every day, many of which we miss as we traverse through life. But today is not one of those days…God’s manifestation of His goodness, His grace, His peace, and His control was made incredibly real to me today. Allow me to explain…

I participatd in an unexpected conference call at work tonight. During this call, it became very clear that the future of my career with this company is uncertain. The timing of this is incredibly poignant, as for those of you who read my blog know I am struggling with my career, and I have been pondering how I might take a different path in my life. I have been in prayer for the Lord to open and close doors as He desires and based on His will for my life. This may very well be a closing door. And instead of the anxiety and fear this would normally cause (considering I am the only income-earner in my family), I am at total peace. Even though the news was completely unexpected and even stunning, peace has permeated my thoughts and soul.

It gets better…my boss called me later (after I was home) to discuss the situation. She said, “you are much calmer than I expected.” I explained how God had blessed me with His peace. She is also a Christian, and had the same perspective, but she is in a very different place financially than I am, and she fully expected to need to help me come to terms with this. Instead, we discussed how God is in control. We talked about all of the other Christians in this company, most of whom have sacrificed so much for their demanding jobs, and some who have talked of pursuing other opportunities (such as starting or entering ministries). We rejoiced in our faith and our ability to be at peace in such uncertain times.

But there’s even more. After all of this, I read an email from a dear high school friend tonight who had read my blog and clicked on the link to the Turning Point devotional (from my post titled, “No Fear of Bad News”, below). Instead of taking her to the October 16 webpage, it took her to the current day’s devotional (which was at the time, October 19). And guess what the verse was? Joshua 1:16, “All that You command us we will do, and wherever You send us we will go.” She explained how that verse ministered to her at just the right moment…and little did she know how much I needed to read that verse as well! God is so good…He takes what we do and returns it to us in multiples!

Nothing may come of the news that was relayed to me at work tonight, and even if that’s the case, this situation has given me a much-needed attitude adjustment – the reminder that God is in control, a confirmation of what I believe I should be pursuing in my life (my vision/mission), and a willingness to follow Him in all that He commands me to do and to go wherever He sends me. And I believe my post from October 16, and the devotional I read that day, prepared me for tonight’s news. In fact, it is even more meaningful today than it was when I first read it. Since, if you click on the original link, it takes you to the current day’s devotional, I wanted to provide the original text from October 16:

No Fear of Bad News

He will not be afraid of evil tidings; his heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord.
Psalm 112:7


At first reading, Psalm 112 seems too good to be true; but on further study, we realize it's so good it must be true. This Psalm explains how God blesses us when we praise Him, fear Him, and delight in His commandments (verse 1).

Our children will be blessed by our faithfulness (verse 2), our needs will be met (verse 3), we'll become more gracious, compassionate, and righteous (verse 4), and more generous and discreet (verse 5). Best of all, we'll be secure in our hearts, unafraid of bad news (verses 6-8).

This isn't a promise that bad news will never come, for we all read the headlines every day and sometimes face that dreaded call in the night or those difficult conversations with a friend. But faith turns the bad news into items of prayer and objects of trust, for we know God works all things together for those who love Him (Romans 8:28). Because of God's sovereignty and Christ's resurrection, we have a peace the world can never understand. Our hearts are steadfast, trusting in the Lord.


Blogging friends, I pray you trust in the Lord today, embrace the peace He desires for you, and that you cling to the truth of Psalm 112:7, and also follow the exhortation of Joshua 1:16. May you experience the incredible blessings of God that He is sure to bring you as a result.

6 comments:

Susan said...

God is so wonderful and is always preparing the way for us ahead of time to be able to manage the circumstances HE places us in. I am preaching to myself as I type this. Praise God!!!
Susan

Annie said...

I want you to know that I am and will continue to pray for God's guidance in your life. It is so wonderful that you can see God's hand working in your life. So often we get caught up in every day life and don't notice what God is doing all around us, when if we stopped and payed attention he would reveal himself to us through the Bible among other things. It is such a blessing to me that you are able to recognize His work in your life.

nancygrayce said...

I have finally come to the place in my life that I know without a doubt that God works everything according to His will and that he can handle the things we can't! I pray God will guide you!

Sharon Lynne said...

Thank you for the reminder to trust.

It's so hard to do when it comes to one's offspring. Yet it must be done. We must trust that our children are in his hands.

A court date is coming up.

Christy said...

wow. that is very powerful-God is doing a major work in your life-that is so exciting.

Susan said...

Thanks for your comments. NEVER, NEVER give up hope and PRAY, PRAY, PRAY and BELIEVE, BELIEVE, BELIEVE!!!
Susan